Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I would do anything for love...



Recipes

Don't ask me why I was craving meatloaf during the summer! I've made meatloaf a few times before, but this time around I wanted to try a healthier version. I found a couple of turkey meatloaf recipes and made some alterations based on my current supplies and palate. Here's my recipe:

Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 Slice Whole Wheat Bread
1 Egg
Handful of Spinach
1/2 Onion
5 Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
Ketchup
Salt, Pepper, Oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil and minced garlic in pan, add onions. In bowl mix ground turkey, egg, spinach, and crumbled bread. Add sautéed onions and garlic. Season with plenty of salt, pepper and oregano. Place into greased 8.5 x 2.5 dish and top with ketchup. Place in oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until turkey is cooked all the way through. Slice, garnish, enjoy.


I'm dairy-free, but if you like, milk or soy can be added to assist in holding the meat together. For my gluten-free peeps, try quinoa instead of whole wheat bread. And of course you can always sneak in peas or carrots to fool those pesky non-veggie eating kids. I put spinach in mine because, well, I love spinach, and I wanted my meatloaf to have a bit of color. You also don't need to sauté the onions and garlic, but I do because Mike's stomach is sensitive to onions. Pre-cooking them deactivates their ache-inducing compounds. And can you tell I like my garlic?! Next time I think I'll try a spicy version by adding jalapenos and chilli powder.

Onionnnnz

I made a side rosemary potato medley. How gorgeous are purple potatoes? You almost don't want to eat them. Almost.

Rosemary

purplepapas

The key to adding a kick to a simple salad? Green olives stuffed with pimentos.

Cucumbers

Voila!

Meaty Loafin'

A little red wine to go with dinner. I'm trying to steer clear of alcohol because everything good in life seems to make me breakout. So, I'm trying to drink only red organic wines when I do drink. (So far I've been only mildly successful. Ok, ok, I'm failing miserably!) I found a decently priced red organic at a local Brooklyn wine shop. Luzon Verde.

Wine

Something sweet to end the meal.

Strawberries


No comments: